What is “Functional Medicine”?
It’s the most comprehensive type of health care! Why? Because the doctors who practice Functional Medicine treat each person as an individual. Forget about “one size fits all”! Whatever your condition, these Doctors will take the steps necessary to figure out the root cause of your problem. And once they find the cause(s), treatment will include dietary adjustments best suited for your genetic makeup. Since nutrition plays a big part in everyone’s health, what can YOU do to help figure out your Ailment?
Functional Medicine is a wonderful hybrid!
Functional Medicine is Naturopathic medicine combined with the latest scientific research. But this is not a new concept; it was created by Jeffery Bland, M.D., in 1990. It is based on the theory that “one condition has many causes while one cause can create many conditions.” You can learn more about this from The IFM Website.
Modern Medicine treats the symptom instead of the cause
With the advent of quick-fix drugs in the past century, modern medicine focused on dealing with a person’s symptoms. The drugs make the symptoms disappear. But if the cause isn’t dealt with, the symptoms reappear when the prescription runs out. And because the cause is still creating symptoms, people become dependent on drugs. Learn more here about Modern Health Care. On the other hand, Functional Medicine questions what caused the symptoms in the first place? By eliminating the cause, the symptoms will go away. Modern medicine uses a “one size fits all”, cookie-cutter approach to treating people’s ailments. But Functional Medicine considers how your genetics & lifestyle interact with the environment. A scientific perspective can determine the influence on your biochemistry.
What can you expect from a visit to a Functional Medicine Doctor?
- Customized care for YOUR body
- Research into your specific history, physiology and lifestyle to determine the cause of the adverse reactions in your body
- Consideration includes your genetic makeup, your state of mind & spirit as well as social & physical environment
- The goal is to correct the cause of inflammation and to provide guidelines that would prevent a re-occurrence
- Functional Medicine tools & methods to help heal you include:
- Nutrition & Exercise
- Therapeutic diets
- Detox Programs
- Lab tests & Diagnostic Techniques
- Prescribed combinations of drugs and/or Botanical supplements
- Stress-management techniques
Leave A Comment