One of the most common things we all use daily for body care, other than toothpaste and soap, is anti-persperant or deodorant. So our bodies get hammered regularly with whatever ingredients are in the products we choose.
Sweating is an essential body function
Sweat performs the following functions:
- regulates body temperature
- helps the body heal wounds
- excretes toxins like phtalates, arsenic, cadmium, lead & mercury
- sweat has no smell until it mixes with bacteria on the skin
Keep this in mind when choosing products that mask unpleasant smells. You want something that helps absorb the odor but remember that everything you put on your skin gets absorbed by your pores and into your system.
Standard cosmetics contain the following harmful toxins:
- Aluminum in anti-perspirants can cause breast cancer
- Triclosan & Triclocarban encourage bacterial resistance to antibodies, are linked to liver & inhalation toxicity and may harm thyroid function
- they are also toxic to aquatic life and persist in the environment
- Fragrances/Parfum may contain parabens or phthalates that are hormone disruptors & linked to cancer
Easiest solution to avoid chemicals is to buy from organic sections of stores or go to a health food store, but be sure to read labels nonetheless as even these locations will carry products with harmful ingredients